Thursday, July 15, 2010

Using the Brain

Well things are not going as planned these days. My Doctor has told me that I am no longer cleared to work and told me to file disability. That in itself is depressing. I am 33 after all but there is nothing that can be done about my back and it will get worse on its own let alone under stress of working. Still it is not easy to take.

Anyway I was surfing the internet and reading all about the Tour de Fleece (I have been spinning as much as I can but I am still spinning my brown Llama and well it looks brown- though my other yarns are drying so soon I will have pictures.) anyway back on my track. There are amazing yarns being created on a spindles. Now I once tried a drop spindle and well I put the drop in drop spindle. Well I figure after spinning on a wheel for over 2 years I just might be able to be able to use a drop spindle again. There are plenty of "How to make a Spindle" on the internet. My first attempt was not great and had my youngest asking if that is why they are called drop spindles. I understand the principle of how one is made and went about making my own. 2 heavy washers and a chopstick later I had a spindle that I could keep going.( the smaller of the two with the fluff still attached)




I know not a great picture but it was the best I had.

2 comments:

AUNTY said...

SO SORRY ABOUT YOUR BACK, Q. THAT IS SAD NEWS. NICE TO SEE THAT YOU'RE THINKING YOUR WAY OUT OF THE PAIN BOX. SPINDLES LOOK COOL. GOOD LUCK. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE NEW YARN, ESP THE LLAMA.

SMOOCHIES

Karen said...

So sorry to hear about your back and that you are officially on disability. But it is important to keep you as healthy and pain-free as possible, so please try to think of it as doing what you need to in order to take care of yourself.

Great job on the drop spindle. I've tried a couple of times but just can't get the hang of it.