Tuesday, April 27, 2010

knitting and Crochet Blog Week-Day 2

Inspirational Pattern

"Blog about a pattern or project which you aspire to. Whether it happens to be because the skills needed are ones which you have not yet acquired, or just because it seems like a huge undertaking of time and dedication, most people feel they still have something to aspire to in their craft. If you don’t feel like you have any left of the mountain of learning yet to climb, say so!"

Hmmm I had to think on this one. Like I have stated before I have this need to learn everything there is. I see no reason why to wait until I am better to learn how to do something. I do not believe in that. So I had to really think on this one. I am thinking steeks.

According to Wikipedia - In knitting, steeking is a shortcut used to knit garments such as sweaters in the round without interruption for openings or sleeves until the end. After completing a tube, a straight line is cut along the center of a column of stitches, in order to make room for an opening or place to attach another piece. The steek itself is a bridge of extra stitches, in which the cut is made, and is usually 6-10 stitches wide. This technique was developed by the knitters of the Shetland archipelago and is particularly associated with Fair Isle sweaters, although it can be used for solid colors as well.

Yes you actually cut the knitting. I think it is a little scary to cut into it but if you use the right yarn (that would be wool - stickier the better) You can sew i guess you would call them safety line or even crochet them so the stitches do not unravel. I have read about people not doing either and just cutting away. I have never used Shetland yarn before but I have read that it is very sticky so if you drop a stitch is doesn't run.

Now steeks are used in Shetland sweaters (yeah I know duh!) and I think many of them are absolutely beautiful. The ones I really like are worked on really small needles and well I do not think my hands would be able to handle a whole sweater. I can barely knit socks anymore. Plus I really want to do colorwork. So I guess I could combine it all into one sweater.

The hardest part will be to find the right pattern. Anyone know of any?

Ok I searched Ravelry (what did us knitter do before Ravelry?!?!) I found this one
Folklore Yes I know it says sold out but I can buy it on Ravelry. I am thinking using handspun for the color work, maybe.

Icelandic Star Need to scroll do to it. I would change it a little bit, like taking out the color work band by the waist. I do not need any extra attention in that area. I also have this issue already.

Fugl Yes I know that a guy is wearing it but there is a woman's version too. I would have to buy the book.

Hela Which is free. = )

DROPS design 116 Also free and I could make matching socks!! Plus people on ravelry have taken the sock chart and put it on the cuff. I like this idea. Only problem is that this pattern uses sport yarn and size 2 needles.

Enid I might have this issue too.

Northern Lights but without the dots.

So now which one? = )


knitcroblo2

3 comments:

Aunty said...

Lots of nice patterns to choose from, Q. I REALLY like the DROPS design 116, even though it is black and white. I think Enid is an interesting pattern, kinda different. The Icelandic Star, Hela, and Fugl patterns are classics. Gonna be hard to choose, huh? I don't think you can go wrong with any of them!

Smoochies to all

Aunty said...

P.S. And good for you for going with something new! As always, can't wait to see the finished work!

SDQuilter said...

Northern Lights!!