Thursday, July 26, 2007

A Good Run of Bad Luck.

Well I guess I got too excited and happy and it was decided that I would be kicked back into reality. It turns out that the drug that is working great and is helping me feel great and actually resume a somewhat normal life again- I am allergic to it. It seems if a person is allergic to Plaquenil it does not show up until 2-2.5 weeks into treatment. Well last night my leg itched, then I happen to look at my leg. It was covered in a rash, an itchy rash. Then I noticed it was on my arms,legs, chest and well I was covered. (I have had reactions to other meds and so I knew what it was) I call my Dr., and had to go see her again today. It was confirmed - I had a classic allergic reaction to the Plaquenil. Great just great. Of course it was going too good. I was feeling great with no bad side effects.

Now my problem is I have to wait 3-4 weeks for it to work out of my system and then I can start a new drug. While I wait I have to go back to 12.5 mg prednisone and no reducing for me for a few more months. I also have to decide if I want to start Drug A, which is less toxic to the system but (and this is a big but) I would have to shut and lock the door and throw away the key to ever having another baby. Then there is Drug B, no door locking but it is a stronger drug that can be more toxic.

Now Hubby and I have said and agreed that we would not have anymore kids and that is fine,but to me there is a big difference between shutting the door and locking it never to be opened again. There can be no changing of our minds once I start this drug. That is what I am having a problem with. I am only 30 and I know I have 3 wonderful children that I love with all my heart and I should be ok and happy - so why am I not?

No comments: