Thursday, April 3, 2008

When Not To Spin

I promised a FO and here it is. Darling Auntie's Spiraling Coriolis Slipper Socks (say that 5 times fast). The Pattern is from Cat Bordhi's New Pathways Book and the yarn was hand dyed by me and I named it Ketchup and Eggs. Size 6 magic loop.
Auntie's
Auntie's socks

The band does spiral all the way around but I am not that flexible.

Ok now for when not to spin. I am on weekly chemo for my RA. It is mild chemo and the side effects are somewhat mild. Within 20 minutes I am feeling way out of it and dizzy and tired. Then there are a few days of dizziness, tiredness and nausea. So I take the chemo on Friday afternoon when the In-Laws have the Kiddies for dinner and dessert. So I am by myself and last friday I thought it would be a great idea to spin. I can barely knit in this state and here I was thinking I could spin. Yeah, Okay. I spun up the first bundle of Poison.

poison 1

It doesn't look too bad it the picture but oh boy! I did better on the first time then I did on this bobbin. It has many thick spot and as many really really thin spots. Tonight I finished the second bobbin.
poison 2
Much better. More even and it can be a little hard to see but there is more on this second bobbin then on the first and bothe started from 2 oz bundles.
I ordered some naturally black alpaca pencil roving that I am going to ply with this. The black will really make the colors pop and I think the yarn will come out pretty and funcky.

=)

4 comments:

Krista said...

Crazy girl! Only a true diehard fiberist would attempt to spin while recouping from a chemo session.....spin on girl! Hope you feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

I understand - it would have been nice to do something fun while you were feeling cruddy! I do think that plying it with black will be stunning!

bittenbyknittin said...

Ketchup and Eggs - I love it!

Toni said...

Hope you're feeling better! You are certainly adventurous--a Cat pattern AND spinning while "under the influence." I can certainly understand--spending time with fiber when you feel bad, how could that NOT help?