Saturday, August 26, 2017

My sanity


Ok, so this is my new weaving. It may be hard to see, but in the bottom part are what are called pinwheels.  
There are several problems.

1. I don't think my yarn contrasts enough to really see them. Of course you can only really see this after the loom is warped and you start weaving. I was NOT going to waste the yarn (Periwinkle Sheep in Goth Girl and 11 Ways to Dry a Chili Pepper- that's the lighter orangey one)

2. There are 8 row to a repeat. Nothing really hard but 6 of those rows I have to sit there and go under and over individually with the yarn. It takes time a lot of time. which leads to...

3. Its taken me 4 days to just get 21 repeats done!

4. The pinwheels don't even look that great because I am pushing down to hard and it seems the more I try not to I wind up squishing them even more. ( Here is to hoping a nice blocking helps)

So, to save what little sanity I have left, I have switched to plain old weave. That's the top part of the weaving. Still keeping 8 row repeat just plain weave and just changing colors every 8 rows. Took about 5 minutes to do 4 repeats. Much quicker. Now I may throw in a pinwheel row here and there or I may just wait until the end and end with 21 pinwheel repeats. Well That I most likely will do. At least that way the ends are the same and it looks like I designed it to look like that.

The reason why it takes so long long is my loom only has 2 positions - Up and Down (or more technically open and closed) The pinwheel pattern was originally made for what is called 8 harnessed looms.  Basically instead of me weaving those 6 rows each time those warps are attached to a bar and you just lift that one bar depending on the row. 

For example The first pattern row goes over 4 under 4 across 104 warp threads on my loom.  An 8 harness loom you just have to lift one bar and boom the threads are up that you need and weave.

I don't know why I thought this would be a quick weave.

2 comments:

Aunty said...

It's a great idea, D, but slightly crazy to try such a complicated thing on a simple loom. Oh, well, here's to challenging projects! lol

I bet it's still gonna be beautiful when it's done. Can't wait to see it!

love to all humans and cats

♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥♥

Aunty said...


The colors are beautiful, by the way.